Saturday, 28 January 2012

Music Feeds My Heart

I have spent the day in the most glorious fashion just singing. I have been a member of The Darwin Chorale for a number of years and it is truly the most wonderful thing to do. Today we had a day-long practice session becoming familiar with pieces for upcoming concerts and events. Mostly we sang a capella today and the room was packed with new people. Our usual repetiteur, James, is on holidays. I sing second alto, well mumble it and occasionally hit a good note. Today we sang most pieces in eight parts. Nora, our concert master is incredibly patient and brings out the best in all of us. So, one hundred ordinary people face new music and soon it sounds like a famous European choir.Rutter's Gaelic Blessing. Chilcott's piece God So Loved The World. Brahms's How Lovely Are Thy Dwellings. Bach's When My Last End Is Come. And a lively piece Nora wrote called You're In My Heart. Probably a bit Christian for my general taste but beautiful music. The sound fills me and bathes me and calms every part of my body.
James out marvellous repetiteur playing for us on tour in Katherine.
Part of the Timorese group who sang with us in Dili and then travelled to Australia for more touring and singing.

Our choir gives some huge concerts, sometimes with the Darwin Symphony Orchestra.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome. Every comment on every blog contributes to linking people from many different countries and cultures. Eventually we create a more peaceful and understanding world.