Do you make soda bread? I am fairly sure it has contributed to the development of that great Aussie favourite, damper. Here is my recipe. Try it with a stew or with plenty of butter and treacle.
Irish Soda Bread
675g plain flour
100g fine oatmeal
1 ½ teaspoons bicarbonate of soda
butter for greasing the cooking trays
|Not many ingredients.|
- First make the fine oatmeal by grinding oats in a blender or grinder.
- Mix all the dry ingredients thoroughly.
- Pour in the buttermilk a little at a time, stirring as you go.
- Knead for a few moments.
- Butter the scone trays thoroughly.
- Shape into 2 round loaves. Some people slash a cross in the top of each loaf.
- Bake at 220 degrees Celsius for 40 minutes.
|Just waiting to be broken open.|