Sugar and Spice Biscuits
This recipe makes a lot, which is a suitable reward for your effort.
|Baked and cooling, sugar and spice biscuits for my morning teas.|
1 cup treacle
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon ground cloves
1 teaspoon cinnamon
5 cups plain flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- In a saucepan melt together the butter, treacle, and sugar. Allow to cool.
- Combine dry ingredients well.
- Add the eggs to the butter mixture and then pour into the flour mixture.
- Combine well. Knead for a few minutes.
- Prepare four oven trays by lining them with baking paper.
- Roll about a teaspoonful of mixture into a ball. Place on a lined baking tray. Squash flat.
- When filled, place oven trays in the oven at 180 degrees Celsius for about 20 minutes.
- Cool and eat.
|Raw and ready for the oven.|
They will puff nicely as they cook.
The treacle gives them a brown colour.
- These biscuits remind me of those dark Dutch or German biscuits covered in fine white sugar
- I ground the cloves myself and it gave a wonderful flavour. Fresh ginger would be tasty.
- You could roll out the dough and cut shapes.
- The biscuits will puff up so you could press a jelly bean into each one before baking.
- You could sprinkle coffee crystals on the tops of the biscuits before baking.
- You could join pairs of cooked biscuits together with a strong icing to create little balls.