Monday, 24 September 2012

Card making again

I love getting letters. I love sending letters. The thrill of receiving is equal to the thrill of writing.

My parents were keen letter writers and saw that as love in action. I do too. Each week I write at least one letter to a family member. To make my letters more interesting I write most of them on homemade cards.

I love making my cards. These cards should really be called notelets because only the front is decorated and the inside is for my letter. Sometimes I attach extra pages inside so that I make more effort to talk to my friends and family.

Not all my cards are this elaborate. Some have simply a photo on the front or some magazine pictures. Cards for men need to be suited to the personality of the recipient.

Here are two cards I made this weekend. One is deliberately made for the babies who are getting the quilts. The other could be a birthday card or a get well card for someone else at some time.

These cards are similar and reasonably simple to make.

Step 1. Cut and fold some light card. I use one A4 sheet to make two cards. My envelopes fit this size. It is hard to get the cut exactly in the middle so some trimming might be needed.

Step 2. Cut a panel to highlight the front. I used card from my stash. It is recycled and had printing on the back. This panel has the work on it and is attached to the real card at the end.

Step 3. I made a cardboard template of a heart. I clipped it to the back of the panel and used a pin to prick holes around the edge. Then I used the same template to cut out heart shapes that were used to fill the heart on the front. I had some scraps of hand made paper in my stash for this. I saved the template for future use.

Step 4. I glued the coloured hearts inside the outline on the front of the panel.

Step 5. I used some silk ribbon to embroider the hearts. The holes made this easier. Each card used a different silk ribbon embroidery stitch. Any threads on the back are held firmly in place with sticky tape. One card, the bubbly one, uses variegated blue ribbon and gold thread to couch it in place. The plainer card uses blue ribbon stitching and white ribbon intertwined along the surface. The lines are white. There is room on this card for a name across the heart.

Step 6. Extra touches were added to create some balance. Bows. Lines. Paper flower and bead.

Step 7. Finally each panel is attached to the folded card using double sided sticky tape.

Any tips? Ironing the ribbon first would have been a good idea.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome. Every comment on every blog contributes to linking people from many different countries and cultures. Eventually we create a more peaceful and understanding world.