Tuesday, 19 March 2013

Tales of another city

I was browsing through a local book exchange and grabbed some interesting bargains. Among them are two volumes of Tales of the City by Armistead Maupin. I have read the first one and will soon read another. There is a stream of eight in the series and some were used to make a television series. The writer Armistead Maupin was an American journalist who wrote for the San Francisco Chronicle.

Here is a link to this journalist's home page. http://www.armisteadmaupin.com/BooksTOTC.html

These cost only $12 each
and I get $5 back at my book exchange.
Amazon has these books at a ridiculously low price second hand, but then there is postage. They are not available in bookstores here as these books are so old. We do not have many book stores here in my city.

What did I think? I was surprised to hear that these books are considered humorous. The one I read is not. The level is light and breezy, about the same as in a popular women's magasine. Easy reading with no thought required. The setting is 1970s semi-hippy society, the days of liberal attitudes and flower power. Entertaining. Fun. Suitable for baby boomers who might remember the times. I would not bother again to buy any of this writer's work, but at the bargain price I paid I got good value.

Do you have book exchanges in your area? They are shops where the owner buys used books and resells them. If I take these books back to the same shop I do not get back the full price I paid, but I get something. It is better than a library in some cases, because I might decide to keep the book. It is better than a second hand book store, because there is a guarantee that I can get something back later if I return to the same place. Do not remove that price sticker. There are some book exchanges that resell craft books and magasines. Love them. My sister buys western novels for her aged men clients because libraries no longer have any. Youth novels are good purchases because young people do not often reread their books and they cost such a lot new. People who read romance novels seem to patronise book exchanges, judging from what I see on the shelves. Book exchanges are not highly profitable businesses unless you have a marketplace of people unable to access many new books.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome. Every comment on every blog contributes to linking people from many different countries and cultures. Eventually we create a more peaceful and understanding world.