Sunday, 7 April 2013

A joke about someone like me

This is a joke about someone like me. I laughed when I read it. Of course it is not me. Never. But close. So very very close.

A few years ago I moved back to the town where I grew up. Many of my old friends were still living there.

As I sat in the waiting room for my first appointment with the new dentist in town I noticed his testamurs hanging on the wall, which gave his full name. 

Suddenly I remembered a tall, handsome, dark-haired boy with the same name had been in my high school class some 40 years ago.
Could he be the same boy that I had a secret crush on way back then? He had been very handsome and I had been quite shy. Maybe. Life is full of coincidences.

As soon as I saw the new dentist I was disillusioned. Not my age. Oh, never. This balding, grey-haired man with the deeply lined face was way too old to have been my classmate. Too old.

After he examined my teeth, I asked him if he had attended Mount Morgan High School. Just in case. Maybe. Thinking.

"Yes, yes, I did," he gleamed with pride.

"When did you graduate?" I asked.

He answered, "In 1973. Why do you ask?'"

"You were in my class!" I exclaimed.

He looked at me closely. Then, that dreadful, mean, ugly, old, balding, wrinkled, beer-bellied, grey-haired, rude man asked, "Oh, what did you teach?"

1 comment:

Comments are welcome. Every comment on every blog contributes to linking people from many different countries and cultures. Eventually we create a more peaceful and understanding world.