Saturday, 13 April 2013

Judi Dench

A young Judi Dench.
I must admit that I am a fan of Judi Dench. I think in the UK she is referred to as an actress; In Australia she is described as an actor.
She is not a very tall person, only 155cm, shorter than me, but she seems to be a giant in the theatre world.

I had not seen or heard her sing until I saw this clip. After I read a bit I found out that she has done a few musicals, using a style of singing that really engages the audience. She performs a song really, using her acting skills.

This song, Send In The Clowns, always grabs me. I hope you enjoy seeing and hearing Judi Dench give it a wonderful treatment. I watched Glenn Close perform the same piece, but it was nothing.

Now she has matured and
looks interesting rather than pretty.

Why is she Dame ... ? Judi Dench was appointed an Officer of the Order of the British Empire (OBE) in 1970. Then she became Dame Commander of the Order of the British Empire (DBE) in 1988. She was appointed a Companion of the Order of the Companions of Honour (CH) in 2005. These honours are a public reward and recognition for her contribution to the life of her nation.

How do you address a Dame in conversation? It is correct to say 'Dame Judith' or 'Dame Judi'. She is not an Honourable or a Lady. Then she would tell you if she wishes to be addressed in some other way, such as, "For goodness sake, Freddy, call me Grandma." Or not.

Here is a very comprehensive biography of Judi Dench. You can see that she has not sat around doing nothing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Judi_Dench

Where would we be without Wikipedia, I wonder.

One interesting fact I noticed is that she has developed an eye disorder and now relies on an assistant to read the script to her. Right. So do I think I could listen to a reading of a script and then act that for the camera without making any mistakes?

1 comment:

  1. Oh I love Judi Dench - I have never heard her signing - thank you for posting this

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome. Every comment on every blog contributes to linking people from many different countries and cultures. Eventually we create a more peaceful and understanding world.