Sunday, 28 July 2013

Darwin Show 2013

This sand sculpture was the first thing we saw after entering the showgrounds.  It was huge.
We have some interesting artists around here.
Yesterday we went to the Royal Darwin Show. It was interesting and fun. Now I am motivated to do more in my community, like the people who entered various events and categories. In past years I have entered cooking, and craft. My daughter has competed in many equestrian events in other years.

The ring events were mesmerising. I love the equestrian events and the polocrosse was quite exciting too. There were demonstrations of skillful driving and a Beaut Ute competition. The Grand Parade was a bit short but still interesting.

I enjoyed seeing the animals especially the Brahmin cattle exhibited by the students from Taminmin High School. Every year the standard seems to be higher. Wonderful teachers and students at that school.

The horticulture was well supported and this display of large pumpkins was impressive.

The orchids were fabulous, which was amazing because the Orchid Spectacular was just a few weeks ago. I thought most exhibitors for this section would have concentrated on that event rather than the Show.

Loved the birds. So many types of parrots.

My husband was really interested in the patchwork and quilting. The standard was very high. Somehow I do not think I will ever be able to achieve that.
The clothing was good. I know I can do dressmaking to an equally high standard if I put my mind to it.

The cooking was dull, although there were many many entries in the Junior Cookery categories. Cake icing is not easy here in this climate. No chocolates or confectionery at all.

We did not go on any rides or spend money in Sideshow Alley. I did buy a deep fried potato on a stick. Maybe it was called a tornado? It tasted better with a lot of salt, but it was fun to eat.

Our favourite part was a show called The Canadian Lumberjacks. Great entertainment. Free.

Saul's Mouse Circus was fun to watch. The mice were on a table, not a cage and they ran about on different wheels and ladders. Kids of all ages were spellbound. Free entertainment.

It was a good day out and the admission price was reduced for Seniors like me and my husband. The City Council provided free bus transport to the showgrounds, but we took our car. Parking was very well organised and trucks sprayed water all day to keep the dust under control.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you had a great day at the show Louise. It is nice to know there are still some free things available. I haven't seen one of those "tornado's" before, looks like it would have been fun to eat!

    x

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome. Every comment on every blog contributes to linking people from many different countries and cultures. Eventually we create a more peaceful and understanding world.