Friday, 15 November 2013

Highs and lows

I did not get to this age without learning the hard way. I carry baggage you do not see; well, I hope you do not see some of it. I suspect that the better a person's memory is, the worse living with some of those memories might be. If Life was easy then it would hardly be worth living at all.

In my community homelessness and alcoholism are visible. People sleep on footpaths, even in the day time. Violence is visible. Teenagers think it is fun to damage cars parked in driveways. And so it goes. It is very easy to be a victim of minor crime and end up losing hope.

I know I am lucky. I had resilient parents who demonstrated personal strength. I know how easily good things can be ripped from you, never to be regained. I found new ones, when this happened to me, but I see around me people who have been unable to do that. Maybe they have been kicked in the teeth too many times.


Right now many people in our city are fund raising for the relief effort for the Philippines. The typhoon caused massive damage. Pictures of desperate people appear on our news broadcasts. A large medical team left from Darwin and has already started work.

I wonder how so many people will rebuild their lives. Do they feel thankful to be alive or are they feeling despair because of the loss of the world they knew?

It could have been me. It could have been you. Sometimes it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome. Every comment on every blog contributes to linking people from many different countries and cultures. Eventually we create a more peaceful and understanding world.