Saturday, 18 January 2014

Winnie the Pooh pictures

I am quite fond of the Winnie the Pooh stories and pictures. I remember my mother reading these to me at bedtime. I remember reading them myself as a child. And to my children. And to children at school.

Here are some pictures that have appeared on Facebook recently. I am assuming they do not breach copyright because it is less than 10% of the whole work, or something.

I like these very much.

Winnie the Pooh is a character in four books by A.A. Milne and first appeared in 1924 in a poem, later in charming stories. The illustrations were done by E.H. Shepard. The stories are simple and the action is slightly misguided. Charming. Very like the thoughts of children.

I once taught a wonderful little boy named Christopher Robin, named after the boy who owned Winnie the Pooh.

The real Christopher Robin playing
with the real Winnie the Pooh.
I am not attracted to Piglet, Tigger or any of the other characters. I recall a voice of Pooh, a wobbly male voice; maybe that is Ian Carmichael maybe it is Stephen Fry. Many fine actors have done these stories over the years.

A.A. Milne sold the rights to Pooh to Stephen Slesinger in 1930. This became the first licensing agreement, like we have so commonly today with film merchandise. Disney bought it in 1961. It is a complicated arrangement. In 1932 Slesinger put Pooh in a red shirt, as in the top picture here. The other picture by Shepard has Pooh with no shirt. Shepard sometimes put Pooh in a shirt but Shepard's drawings have no colours.

I do not like the newer Disney versions of Winnie the Pooh, but that is to do with my taste in general. Other people like them and they are in the modern style. The lack of detail in the drawings matches the characters and is probably more suited to the minds of children. The new stories are similar, but I am very conservative in this area. The new material and new versions do popularise something beneficial and that is of merit.

My mother kept our A.A. Milne books for the next generation. I have done the same.

Wikipedia has lots of information.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winnie-the-Pooh


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome. Every comment on every blog contributes to linking people from many different countries and cultures. Eventually we create a more peaceful and understanding world.