Tuesday, 23 September 2014

Vintage Needlework

This little gem is just one of the treasures from Iva Rose.
When I was a little girl we had a needlework book in the house that was really old. I think it had belonged to my grandmother, my father's mother, but I am not sure. The pictures and projects were from the late 1800s.
I am not sure what happened to the book but I have found something similar.

If you like old books then have look at this site.  http://www.ivarose.com/home

At Iva Rose old patterns are scanned, cleaned up, and then sold to the public. Nothing elaborate or outrageous about the publications, just ready for a creative person to do something.

You may have to hunt about for a while as there is quite a big collection on this site. I found this book of crocheted edges in the section Books Under $10.

If you enjoy making or wearing vintage styles, or making them for theatre productions, you might also enjoy looking at these sites.
Vintage Dancer http://www.vintagedancer.com/1920s/1920s-patterns/
Ageless Patterns  https://www.agelesspatterns.com/

Sites like these make me realise just how hard many women had to work in the past and how fortunate I am to live in more liberal times with greater person freedom.

I am thinking that a couple of pattern books might make a wonderful Christmas or birthday present for someone. Thinking also about how to make the postage worthwhile.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome. Every comment on every blog contributes to linking people from many different countries and cultures. Eventually we create a more peaceful and understanding world.