Wednesday, 5 November 2014

Moth Orchid

A couple of years ago I bought my husband a potted moth orchid (Phalaenopsis sp.) for Fathers Day.
In the never-failing spirit of my gardening the plant stayed alive but did not flower. Until this year. We have three flowers on the spike. And enormous grins on our faces every time we look at them. So far the flowers have lasted for four weeks. Incredible, seeing the original flowers lasted four days. The petals are perfectly white and yes, they do almost sparkle. In the throat of the flower are tiny touches of yellow and red. There are two tiny tendrils like feelers, maybe this is where the idea of a moth comes in, maybe. Perhaps the cultivar name is Aphrodite.
These orchids originate in Asia, and this particular one is from the Philippines. These plants have half a dozen sturdy leaves and seem to prefer a mild spot in the garden. My friends grow them very easily. Ha. I wish I was so clever.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome. Every comment on every blog contributes to linking people from many different countries and cultures. Eventually we create a more peaceful and understanding world.