Today marks the official end of my Christmas season. Decorations are packed away. Thank you letters are supposed to be completed. (Mine are not!)
|Adoration of the Magi by El Greco, 1568, Museo Soumaya, Mexico City|
There are some interesting customs associated with Three Kings Day. A few have very little to do with Christianity.
- Homes may be blessed.
- Many people have a special dinner.
- Some people eat a special bread.
- A special cake may be eaten - Three Kings Cake.
- Children dress up as kings.
- Gifts are given.
- Some people have bonfires and burn the old Christmas trees.
- Some people believe that there is a special moment during the night when your wish will be granted.
- Practical jokes are popular on this night.
- Plays may be performed, particularly including a character called "The Green Man."
- Some people believe that during this night animals can talk.
- This may be the last opportunity some people have to party for a while and the celebration could be quite rowdy.
- It is the last night for the yule log to continue to burn.
I enjoy some of the Twelfth Night customs. I hope you have a special dinner tonight too. A few jokes perhaps?
|Twelfth Night Parade in London|