Sunday, 5 July 2015

Clothing and culture

I have copied this photo from Roman's blog
that I am writing about here.
I really enjoy learning about other cultures and years ago I started a degree in Anthropology. I also enjoy dressmaking and a little embroidery. Blogs can sometimes bring those interests into my home. Let me send some to your home via Roman's blog, Folk Costume and Embroidery.

If you follow this link http://folkcostume.blogspot.com.au/2015/07/mens-costume-of-pieniny-dunajec-region.html   you will read about the traditional embroidered clothing of men from the regions of Poland, Slovakia, and Ukraine. The author, Roman, is a diligent researcher and his posts are quite detailed. He writes about different groups of people each time and the posts are occasional rather than weekly. I read and re-read.

I believe that traditional customs should be recorded and made available as much as possible because of the current trend of globalisation. We may become computer literate, use mobile phones, watch films from other countries, and all learn English but the price might be that we show disrespect to all those who are our history. I think we need to walk both ways. To do this we need to know what the old ways were, why they worked, and why we changed.

Roman's blog, Folk Costume and Embroidery, challenges my thinking and questions my values. I ask myself, "Why did I not know this already? Was I too self-centred? Why did they do that? Do I do it too?" When I read about other peoples I think about my own people and our ways of living. That has value, great value.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome. Every comment on every blog contributes to linking people from many different countries and cultures. Eventually we create a more peaceful and understanding world.