Saturday, 4 July 2015

Relaxing and reading

I will never be a famous photographer
but you get the idea.
Home alone, except for the cat. Super relaxing. And to fill this luscious time I am reading, sewing, knitting and watching favorite DVDs. Bet you wish it was you!
So I read The Charming Quirks of Others, by Alexander McCall Smith. Did I like it? Yes, indeed, I enjoyed this book. It made me think carefully. The plot is quite straightforward with just a small twist. The characters are realistic, and never uni-dimensional. The conversations are believable. There is much to enjoy. But the best part is the philosophical thread that stitches everything together. The heroine must consider the motives of each person she encounters, rather like a detective show but in a different context. No violence or Police in this story. No shades of Grey either.

The heroine is Isabel who edits an academic journal on philosophy. She lives in Edinburgh which adds to the attraction for me, because it seems so far away and exotic. Isabel is asked to check on the applicants for a job, but other minor stories run alongside this purpose.

I do not always enjoy novels by this author. Alexander McCall Smith is very learned and clever. He has had a career in academia and has written papers and novels galore. I know he has lived and worked in a number of countries and somehow that generosity of spirit shines through in this particular novel. It is an easy read.

Very relaxing. If you see it in your library, borrow it and shut out the daily onslaught of violent news.

2 comments:

  1. I think I've read it. I've read a few in this series, a few in the Scotland Street series, and all of the Ladies' Detective Agency series set in Botswana. Find them relaxing as long as one doesn't read too many in one swoop! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I ahve enjoyed all his African stories, but didnt enjoy the one set in Scotland - I wonder if this is in the same vein?

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome. Every comment on every blog contributes to linking people from many different countries and cultures. Eventually we create a more peaceful and understanding world.