Sunday, 14 August 2016

Darwin to Ambon Yacht Race 2016

Yesterday morning was the start of the 2016 Darwin to Ambon yacht race.


The yachts started from the Darwin waterfront at Stokes Hill Wharf and will finish at the village of Amahusa in Ambon in Indonesia. The distance is 635 nautical miles. They do go through part of the Banda Sea where frequently there are earthquakes which we feel here in Darwin. The race takes about a week although the race record is 53 hours, set in 1998.


The day was beautiful, the sea a calm tropical blue, sunny but not hot. I thought it looked like a tropical paradise dream, but I get extremely sea sick so it would not be such a dream for me. People queue to crew for this race and it is easy to see why.



If you want to find out more, this is the link to the race website.  HERE



2 comments:

  1. Fascinating! I've never heard of that race before. I love being on the water, I'd be in the crew queue if I had the chance!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Impressive. I prefer to watch boats (and the sea) from the shore as well...

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome. Every comment on every blog contributes to linking people from many different countries and cultures. Eventually we create a more peaceful and understanding world.