Thursday, 31 August 2017

Noble Tom Prosser

My photo is not very clear.
You can see the water being pumped out so the ship will sink lower.
The white pillars are at the back of the ship.
If I stand on my verandah and look at the harbour, I see an oil rig. It's called the Noble Tom Prosser and belongs to the Noble Drilling Corporation. It was built in 2014 in Singapore and is described as a jack-up rig.

The rig is working with PTTEP and hiring it costs $US130 000 per day. PTTEP is a Thai company involved in the oil and gas industry. I think at those prices I would not like it standing idle, but then again I do not work in big business.

This rig is designed to drill in water 120 metres deep and go down 10 000 metres into the seabed.

When the oil rig arrived in the harbour, it was piggy-backed on a semi-submersible ship. That was interesting enough. Those are the ships that sink down until the deck is under the water to load and unload, and then come up again. They manage this by pumping water in and out of the ballast tanks. I have seen this done a few times, but it is always amazing.

The big red ship, the semi-submersible heavy lift ship, is the Zhen Hua 33 from China. It is also staying in the harbour so it can be used for the next part of the journey.

Now everyone waits while the rig is commissioned for the job ahead. The oil rig is not drilling in the harbour but will be taken out to the Timor Sea. You may have heard about the oil and gas field between Timor and Australia. The costs and profits cause a bit of political tension.

This photo from the NT News website shows the oil rig sitting on the semi-submersible heavy lift ship.
Justin Kennedy is the photographer.

Here it is starting to move off the Zhen Hua 33.
This photo is from the Darwin Port Authority website.

My blurry photo.
The red ship in front of the oil rig is big.
The towers on the rig would easily be as tall as a 20-storey building.
You might be able to make out the scaffold-like structures that the rig is standing on.

I know my photography skills are not good. On top of that, I have cropped my photos, which does not help at all.

1 comment:

  1. It is quite a fascinating process! I hadn't heard of a semi-submersible ship before. Thanks for posting about it.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome. Every comment on every blog contributes to linking people from many different countries and cultures. Eventually we create a more peaceful and understanding world.